We’ve had a few clients that have contacted us to ask us how to pay their Self Assessment tax online. So we thought it would be a great idea to walk you through the process step-by-step!
1. Simply type HMRC into google. Click the first link that appears (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs).
2. Once you’re on the Gov.uk page, click the ‘Paying HMRC’ link shown in green. You will then be directed to a list of options. Scroll down the list and select the ‘Pay your Self Assessment tax bill’ option
3. You must click ‘By debit or corporate credit card online’. You will then be taken to a different page which gives you instructions on how to pay online. Once you have read the information and have got your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) ready, click the ‘pay online’ hyperlink.
4. If you are unsure where to find your UTR, remember that it will be on the front of your tax return.
5. You will then be directed to a payment page where you must enter your UTR and the amount you need to pay.
6. Follow the subsequent instructions to complete payment.
Please note that you cannot pay your Self Assessment tax at the Post Office anymore.
You must pay your Self Assessment tax either:
- Via payslip (given to you at the bottom of your Statement of Account) with a cheque.